Sunday, September 11, 2011

Industry Bullies

Yes, people are bullies, but so are manufacturers in the nail industry.  Last week, I came across a post that said that if you were already listed on CND’s site as a salon that performs Shellac services, you may have to re-register your salon.  Well, after a quick search of their new Mobile Application, I quickly found out that my salon is no longer listed, despite the fact that “I”, the owner, am a Grand Master and we DO provide Shellac services.

So, I went through the procedure to get our salon added once again.  All was fine until I came to this little beauty, and then my head about exploded.

Way to go CND.  Way to be the biggest industry bully.  You want us to ONLY use your light.  Come on, as someone who has been using your product for sixteen months, SUCCESSFULLY, with a good-old 36 watt (4 – 9 watt bulbs) tunnel lamp, I have to laugh at your audacity.  YOU expect us to purchase your light for $150 in order to receive referrals?  I have five stations in my salon, there is no way in hell that I am shelling out $750 for lights, when the five that we already have that we paid $70 each for work fine.  Do the math, $350 or $750.  Any smart business owner can see the writing on the wall.

Next, you want us to ONLY use your base and top coat, well, what if we have found that using someone else’s top coat gives a much better end result?  Also, your base and top coats cost the same price as other companies, but those other companies bottles are TWICE THE SIZE.  Again, any smart business owner can see there is no value in using your base and top coats and that over priced plastic thing you call a UV light.

Next, you want us to say that we don’t mix products.  Again, what audacity you have to tell us what we can use and how we can use it.

Now here’s another one that really made my head pop.  You want us to say that we do not file the nail surface during application.  ANY manicure service includes a light buffing to smooth the nail and give a perfect surface for either traditional polish or soak off gell – Oh, that’s right EXCUSE ME, your product is a HYBRID.  Whatever.  Way to scare the public into thinking that a light buffing of the nail surface is wrong.  YES there are those who are heavy handed and do this step wrong and can cause damage, but we are not ALL idiots.  Some of us are trained and take our jobs seriously.  To have us say that we won’t do this is an INSULT!  Our job is to preserve the natural nail, not destroy it.  Any professional that doesn’t understand this should just quit right now.

Finally, you have us say that we do not soak nails in a bowl of acetone to remove Shellac.  Any tech with an ounce of intelligence will not soak.  First, it is not necessary, second it is a waste of acetone and third it really increases the odors in your salon.  Cotton balls soaked in acetone, applied to a nail and then wrapped in foil is all that you need.  I am really surprised, CND, that you didn’t make us say that we only use your stupid little diaper-looking thingies to remove product.  That seems to be your thing, CND, demanding that we only use CND things.

So, I have decided that I am not re-registering our salon.  Hell, I may request to have my name taken off of your Grand Masters list as well.  I really don’t even like Shellac, I just liked it for French because your white was the easiest to apply with a good result.  As of right now, two of your competitors have whites in a bottle that are doing a pretty good job and again, I get twice the amount for my money.  I will not be purchasing any more Shellac.

Now, CND, I realize that you have spent millions on your advertising campaign.  I realize that you are trying to make that money back.  I wonder how many people are going to blatantly LIE on that form, trust me, I considered it, but I guess I have a little more integrity than that.  You will NOT recoup your advertising dollars from me, CND.

So, is the CND police going to be out in full force?  Will they be visiting every salon that is listed to make sure they are complying to your ridiculous stipulations?  Hell, we can’t even get State Board to come in and inspect for MMA and credo blades, maybe we can have you strike a deal with all of the state boards and you can kill two birds with one stone.

I, for one, am done.  I will not be told to use an over priced light.  I will not be told that I have to use your over priced base and top coats.  I will not be bullied.  Period.

-- Nancy

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bravo!

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much! I couldn't agree more! No one calls for Shellac anyways, they all want Gelish!

Anonymous said...

roflmao...u go Nancy!...They really do have a lot of nerve telling us that bullshit...I wonder how many idiots out there are doing exactly what they said...hmmmm....I most def won't be one of them lol & smh...I never bought into Shellac only bc you had to buy their lamp...yeah right,,and the fact that they were way overpriced...I love checking Holly out cause her info works with any brand....so I'm a happy nailer.

Anonymous said...

Doesn't Gelish advertise that their base and top work with ALL soak offs?
Okay. I lied on the form. Noone has called asking for Shellac.
We do soak the soak offs in acetone. All clients are oiled up and there isn't any damage to the nails or skin.
Bravo to you for calling CND out. Think you'll get a response?
1 more thing- doesn't CND have the tech lightly buff the nails for an acrylic service? It stands out at the Shellac Attacks that they say noone should buff the natural nail, but that is what is done for their acrylic application. So what is it? Buff or no buff?

Anonymous said...

I'm cthu!!! Go Nancy! :) Oh, so that's why they had us re-register?? I didn't bother to do so because 1) I did not feel like wasting time repeating steps, and 2) No one ask for it anyway...they like the Gelish colors instead. "Use their light only"...hmmmph! Pah-leeease! Are they serious???! After they had nail techs waiting for months because they were behind on production...had clients all eager & shit!! SMH!

Anonymous said...

I registered anyway. I do everything but use their light. I'm sorry but that light is over priced and if they do send someone out to my salon that is out in the middle of nowhere, I will probably just laugh. If they're going to come in my salon and make a big deal about me not using their precious lamp and take me off of the list they can suck it, I guess.