Tuesday, September 27, 2011

About to Throw in the Towel - Reader Submission

Dear Nancy,

Thank you for writing your last post about why some of us become salon owners.  I wanted to write this, because I don’t have the courage to say it outloud or to anyone who knows me.  Today, for the first time, I considered closing my salon.

I am tired of the constant complaining from the people who work for me.  I think I provide them with a nice place to work.  I don’t ask for much, just that they show up on time, do a good job and clean their area.  I do everything else.  It is so unappreciated.

All they do is complain amongst themselves about stupid likes, some, what you mentioned.

One says she doesn’t want any new clients put in her book but then complains if she has gaps in her schedule.  On complains about the temperature and the music.  Another complains about the smell.  I tell you, I totally could have written your last blog post.  It really hit close to home.

What they don’t realize is that this constant complaining is really bringing me down.  I am tired of hearing it.  I just really don’t know what more these women want from me.

I am actually considering closing my very busy salon.  Truthfully, I would make more working for someone else and I could come, do my job and leave.  I wouldn’t have to keep up with inventory, order supplies, pay all the bills, fix all the things that they break, search for new products/techniques, market the business.  I could just do my job and go home.

I’ve obviously been successful with my duties.  The salon is booming, yet, these girls complain.  They are making good money, yet they complain.  Complain, complain, complain.

I hate to say it, but they have sucked the ever, living life out of me.  I seriously could walk away tomorrow with no regrets and most importantly, no debt.  I wonder what they would do if I did.  They have no idea how good they have it.

Thanks for letting me vent without a name/face.  I love this blog.  Keep up the great work.

Signed – About to Throw in the Towel

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with everything! I too am a salon owner and feel totally put upon and unappreciated. I try hard to create an excellent environment for clients and staff as well as myself. It just feels no mater how hard you try it just isn't good enough. I just keep reminding myself that you can keep everyone happy all of the time or some of them happy part of the time, do what you feel is right and carry on. Good luck to you! I wish you the best!

Post Author said...

Thank you so much for your comment, it is nice to know that I am not alone. I appreciate your encouragement too. I got a good night's sleep and felt a lot better in the morning. I am having a staff meeting on Monday to address everything.