Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Under Appreciated

Reader Submission


So I been thinking for awhile to raise my prices, I'm very inexpensive for the work that I do.


I love what I do but at the end of the day I feel overworked and under appreciated because the creativity I put out. I decided that this year I get my own place as well, so 2 weeks ago I posted a heads up I'm raising my prices by $5. Today I worked on my price list and posted it, honestly I still feel like I'm not charging enough, I cant get it through my head that I'm under cutting myself, for some reason I feel bad to charge more than I am, I know stupid on my part.


Anyway I had a client text me asking if that means her price is going up too. WOW! I didn't know how to respond especially since shes one of the reasons my prices are going up and her price is the same as everyone elses so I don't get what she meant by that. I'm a little offended she'd even ask me that. I finally text-ed her back and said "well it means everybody s price is going up"...


--Under Appreciated 

5 comments:

Sheiky said...

Once in my salon we raised our prices $2. Honestly you would have thought it was the end of the world.

Lady Ace said...

I raise my prices every two years (in January -- this is not the year, btw), $2-$5, depending on which service... and ALWAYS post a framed note, plus tell all my clients, in October prior to the price increase. Yes, they gripe, and threaten to "go somewhere cheaper"... but rarely do they actually do that. The one pedi client that did try to go somewhere else after my last price increase called me six weeks later, desperate for a proper pedicure, instead of the "wham bam, thankyouma'am" style a lot of cheaper places offer. I'm not cheap, and there's a good reason for it! You are worth MORE than you charge; the very least you can do is give yourself a raise every couple of years. After all, no one else is going to do it for you!

Anonymous said...

I used to think the same way too. I am in a small town, but 20 mins from a larger centre. I just increased my prices by $2 across the board in October. I had a few people complain (they always do). Some I told it made a difference to them of $24/year...really? $24? Having beautiful hands is a luxury, they can go down the road and get it cheaper but it won't be better. We all work hard for our money, like our clients (or most of them) they like to get a raise every now and then...why can't we? They like to have the latest nail what nots and trends...things cost money.

My Uncle that works in finance told me to raise my prices by 10%, I might see 10% decrease in clients, but would be making the same money. He thinks that we should raise our prices until we are making the money we want to make and working only the hours we want to work. I am nervous to test his advice. But have already posted in the salon that all prices will be increasing October 1 st by $1 and this increase will be annually. A few complaints because I just raised my prices...but oh well.

We all under value ourselves ...then our clients don't see our value. It's hard but we really do teach our clients how to treat us.

Anonymous said...

Thank you all

Guin Deadman said...

Because we have such a personal relationship with our clients, we feel bad, or guilty for raising prices. Many of them exploit this feeling, like the mentioned client (does this mean MY price goes up too?). I try to gently remind them that I have to pay the same prices at the store and the pump that they do. They don't expect the cashier to charge them less than everyone else, because they're a friend as well, or on a 'fixed' income ( I really hate that one). Great advice I received from my mentor is "charge enough that you never have to say 'I can't stand her but I have to keep her as a client because I have to have her money' we have to stop de-valuing ourselves in this industry".