Friday, December 23, 2011

BUYER BEWARE!!!

I was tipped off to a FaceBook group that was started to buy, sell or trade things within our profession.  While I think it's a great idea, the moderator needs to set up some kind of rules because it seems as though she is allowing people to sell things under false pretenses.

First case in point, was the reason why this link was sent to me.  Someone was offering a CND ProFinish 20 watt, two handed light.  It said she paid $265 for it and was entertaining any reasonable offers.  She stated that it was practically brand new and used only a few times.  Well, a number of people assumed that this is a UV light that will cure gel and gel polish and soak off gels.  When someone posted that this light was "Nothing more than a glorified polish dryer" all hell broke loose and then all the ridiculous came out.

Ridiculousness like statements like this:

The light has 5 "4WATT BULBS" if you add that together u get 20WATTS!This is what I do with my 36 watt lamp, i remove 3 bulbs which leaves me with 9 watts and I use that to cure my builders to lessen the heat spike more bulbs DOES equal more curing power!  it works the same way iff you want less wattage to cure, u just remove how ever many bulbs u want to get the wattage u want--common logic i do it All the time!I asked this very question to a woman who works for star nails and developed her own UV/LED and I asked this very question to the President of CND, Gelish reps and a President of Forever French Nail Systems and they all told me the same thing.

WOW, I am glad you aren't MY nail tech or that you don't work for me because that is just bat shit crazy!

First of all, the number of bulbs doesn't matter.  More bulbs just gives you more even coverage.  A one bulb light will not cure a whole hand, you have to cure the thumbs by themselves.  A light with four bulbs will give you the ability to cure the full hand.  A 36 watt light is a light with 4 - 9 watt bulbs, just like this light is one with 5- 4 watt bulbs.  Four watt bulbs will cure or should I say DRY a UV topcoat.  Who the hell uses those any more?  Are any of you people really still polishing nails?  I haven't polished a nail since February (I just looked) and that was someone from OUT OF TOWN.

Second, I would like to call bullshit on the statement that you asked people from Star, CND, Gelish and Forever French and they confirmed what you are saying.  Elaine Watson of Star would NEVER tell you that 4 watt bulbs will cure gel, gel top coat, gel polish and soak off gel.  I laugh at the thought of actually being able to ask the President of CND a question.  Really???  Hell, I can't get them to return a phone call or an email, yet you can just ring them up anytime you want?  Give me a break.

Lastly, if you are having to remove bulbs from your light to avoid a heat spike, might I suggest that you either find a new product to work with to take a freaking class and learn how to use your product.  Taking bulbs out of lights?  Who the hell has time for that ridiculousness???

Everyone do yourself a favor and educate yourself on UV lights.  Jim McConnell from Light Elegance is like the guru of UV lights.  Start reading on page 14.  

I have looked through this page some more and while I see a lot of good things, like people looking for pedi carts and people selling newer things like the new OPI soak off gel system, I still see crap like this.  Someone is selling SOLARNAIL powder.  How the hell old is this stuff??  CND discontinued it how many years ago (Just like they discontinued ProFinish, which is what that stupid light above was for).  Don't you people know that there is a shelf life on products.  I would garner that that jar of Solarnail powder is five or more years older.

So, BUYER BEWARE!  Don't be buying someone's old ass product.  Don't purchase someone's nail polish dryer (because lets admit it, that is exactly what that lamp is) and be all bummed because it won't cure your gel.  Don't buy other people's shit.  If they don't want it, why the hell would you???

Thank you for the tip on this little gem.  I have also received a tip on some things to watch on International Competition Judging as well.  Keep them coming!

--Nancy

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wondered that same thing about the SOLARNAIL powder.. "How old is THAT?!?!" I bought some new-in-package (still sealed) Axxium from that page & am happy with them. I was also planning on selling my second CND lamp (bought one a year ago, got a second one with the class), but my salon's owner (not my boss; we're all booth renters) ran into her old nail tech, so I sold it to her... no shipping worries! Anyway, this page can be good, but people need to be EDUCATED about what they're buying!

kk said...

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK NANCY!! I was wondering if the part I read about them booting someone off was you or not..lol. thats why I came here to see if you had written about it all.. Your absolutely right about the lights and what idiot really thinks that shit, and SOLARNAIL.. omg when I saw that posted on there I thought the same thing...O.L.D... I love that you are always on top of it for us!!