Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Share the Love - Purchasing Stuff for Friends and Relatives

Well, we've had those that are pissed at manufacturers who are selling their stuff in Sally Beauty Supply to the general public.  We have had those who are pissed at industry professionals teaching consumers how to use a consumer brand of gel polish.  Now, it seems as though we have those who are pissed because people with a license are purchasing retail for family and friends at cost.

REALLY?  Come on!  With all the things going on in the world, this is what has put the bee in your bonnet?  As I was out shopping, on Black Friday, as I was standing in line, which was snaking through the Health and Beauty Department, I couldn't help notice "Professional" hair products for sale.  I noticed a can of Big Sexy Hair hairspray for $17.95.  In the beauty supply stores we can get that for about $8.95.  It is worth, $8.95.  You have to be on some really good drugs to think that it is worth $17.95.

So, if I, or anyone else, decided to share the love with my family and friends, who cares?  Are we breaking any laws or rules? NO!  A licensed person is purchasing the stuff.  So now we have people who want to tell us what we can and can't do with the supplies that we purchase?  I think not.

I can totally understand, not purchasing color or perms for unlicensed people, but come on, shampoo, conditioner, hair spray, polishes and lotion are not in that category and lets face it the mark up is ridiculous.  Just think, the manufacturer is making a HUGE profit on it from what WE pay them, so once it gets to the consumer, they have been totally raped in the pocketbook.  So, if I want to help out my family and friends, how dare you look down your nose at me or anyone else who does it, even if they have a license and have never practiced before.

If you are losing so much by not being able to retail, I am going to say it again, you need to look at your business plan, because you have some serious problems in your business.  Maybe you bought into one of those classes years ago that pushed you to sell so much retail each month so that you could retire early.  Now that people aren't buying as much retail, you are hurting.  Look at your service menu, add new services, determine how to make money by doing your craft not by being a product salesperson.

It's time to stop pointing the fingers at everyone else, blaming them for our own shortcomings.  Remember, when you point a finger at someone, three other fingers, point right back at YOU!

3 comments:

Lady Ace said...

Yep, I'm with ya, Nancy... "Bite me," I say! In fact, just recently, I bought my sister hairspray, dry shampoo, regular shampoo, & conditioner. Then, I got two girlfriends some shampoo, and my daughter some polish. It's my choice for whom I buy stuff; and my choice *if* I choose to retail, as well (which, after 8 years in the biz, I finally decided to start doing, but I don't have a very big space, so I sell minis and small useful things like files & base and top coats).

Anonymous said...

What I think is funny is the same techs bitching about this, would without a doubt, take an offer from a friend that owned a retail business selling tv's. They would buy up that tv at wholesale and brag about it. Would it piss off other electronic retailers? The answer is. No one cares. They want a deal. So it's not any different for us. Our fiends and family want deals to. It's not rocket science. And I agree, what a petty thing to complain about.

Anonymous said...

So a similar analogy would be to get pissed off at all the people who bring their family or friends with them to shop at Costco or Sams Club who don't have a membership. Should I go stand in Costco and scream at all these people too?