Monday, November 28, 2011

Who's Afraid of the Big, Bad Do-It-Yourself-er?

Not me.  Come on people!  Are you really so offended by these people, who purchase product and do their own nails?  Really?  Do you really think that those people would even consider walking in your salon door?  If you think they would, if they didn't have access to things like Gelish or Sensationail, well you obviously don't think too much of your own work.

Not everyone is going to be a client of yours.  Some people are cheap and want to do things at home.  Look at the results!  The photo shown, is one that has been passed around the Internet by a lot of people.  It is a DIY'er.  WOW, don't those nails look snazzy!  So, I guess your work looks like this, huh?  Oh, it doesn't?  Then why the hell do you have a wild hair up your ass about all of this?

First everyone got all pissed off because Gelish is being sold in little, itty, bitty bottles with a tiny, battery operated UV light in Sally's.  *GASP*  Never mind that you can find other brands of acrylic and gel by your favorite manufacturers in that store, just under a different name.  I've got to give it to Danny Haile, at least he keeps it honest.  So, very few of the colors are sold, they are little bottles, big deal.  Again, the people buying these products will never be in your chair to begin with.  Calls were made to boycott Harmony Nail and all of their products.

Next we have the big uproar about Vicki Peters and company teaching the general public how to use Sensationail gel polish, by Nailene.  Again, they are teaching those who will never be in your chair how to use a product that may or may not be a professional product in a consumer package, with a consumer label, marketed to the consumer.  Knives were thrown, virtually, at Ms. Peters and her team of educational ambassadors.  Their integrity was questioned and some very nasty things were said PUBLICLY.  

Finally, last week, Jennifer Cherry of Nail Talk Radio, posted this photo of KISS nail wraps that she saw for sale.  It was immediately determined that they look very similar to Dashing Diva's new wraps.  So, what?  Is everyone going to start boycotting Dashing Diva?  Should Patricia Yankee-Williams start watching for the knives to start flying her way, since she is in a pivotal position in that company?

It's time to just shut up, get behind your table and do the best job you can do.  All this bitching and moaning and pointing fingers and boycotting is just ridiculous.  You are all pissed off about product being in the hands of people who will never be your client.  You are pissed that people are teaching those non-clients how to use their products.  You accuse companies and industry professionals of taking money out of your pocket, taking business out of your salon and taking food off your table.

If DIY'ers are hurting your business, them maybe you need to look at your business plan.  Maybe there is another reason why your business has dropped.  Maybe your skills, just aren't up to par.  Maybe you are so stuck in your ways, that you will never consider doing anything new.  I remember all the stubborn, old timers, dissing soak of gel polish when it came out.  Finally, nearly two years later, they jumped on the bus because they saw the business they were losing.  Guess what?  You are two years behind the rest of us who were innovative and took a chance on a new product.  We have now mastered it, and are now taking it to another level, while you are still at square one, trying to master application.

So stop your damn bitching about manufacturers and professionals selling you out.  No one sold you out, you sold YOURSELF out, you just refuse to stay on the cutting edge of what is happening in the nail world.  I could care less about the DIY'ers and if you do, then maybe you need to take a couple of classes because your work is obviously on par with that lovely photo at the top of this post.

--Nancy

28 comments:

Anonymous said...

Been saying that for years. Most people who buy OPI from drugstores will never go to the salon. Who cares if it is diverted? Those people are not coming to us.
Ask your clients if they go in Sallie's. Probably not. Many of them think they are not allowed in there. Have you seen the DIY'ers yet? I have and it's not pretty.

Lady Ace said...

I used to BE a DIYer... that's how I got started in this business. I realized how crappy of a job I did, so I WENT TO EFFING SCHOOL to learn how to do nails properly! And, no, none of my clients go to Sally's.

Anonymous said...

Flailing my hand, too. DIYer here. Bet most of us were. Some of my guests do go to Sally's.

Anonymous said...

I agree with all of that but one little thing. It's " I could NOT care less". Not I could care less about it. If you could care less then you care too much already.

Nancy NailTech said...

Well Geez, sorry about that. I am not a professional writer, hell I am not even a college graduate. You got the point I was making, is it really necessary to point things like that out? Maybe you are too smart to be a nail tech?

Anonymous said...

I might just be a bit to smart but I am really fantastic at it. Its just that if we could care less then it makes no sense. I thought we were allowed to say things here. Maybe not? I didn't think it was that major to point out. I imagine I'm a stickler for meaning.

Nancy NailTech said...

You are most certainly allowed to say whatever you want. HOWEVER, if you are going to criticize my writing, maybe you should look at your own posting and look at your grammatical errors. It's TOO smart, not "to" smart and in your second sentence you forgot your apostrophe in it's, which means "it is" as opposed to showing an object's possession.

Moral of this post is, stop sweating the small stuff and pointing out stupid little things. It just makes you look really petty, no one is perfect.

November 30, 2011 9:30 PM

Anonymous said...

Whatever. I'm not the blogger, you are. So I will take a stab In the dark and say to be taken seriously, or to increase your popularity in the field as some sort of expert on nails and complaners and, be a complainer about complainers, you could use correct wording. I don't care about your immense amount of grammatical errors. And I have come to the conclusion that I am not the one who looks "petty" with the nit picking. I pointed out one term that does not make sense. You pick apart the spelling of your follower. Might be a little immature on your part, fellow smart one. Is it the sign of the end of times? Seriously doubing that.

Nancy NailTech said...

Well, I guess since I host this blog, I am a blogger, but so are a million or so other people on the Internet. I am not trying to be taken seriously. I am not benefiting financially from this blog. This blog is here for one reason only, to allow people to say what they really want to say, but otherwise can't because people will threaten then, promise to ruin careers or just plain old ridicule them.

Your comments are your right on this blog. Just as my comments back to you are my right.

I really don't care if you find fault in my writing. Most people, who read this blog,knew what I meant by that one sentence that you picked apart. It's a slip of the tongue that MANY people make.

Forgive me. Again. No one's perfect. But it sure seems like you think YOU are. Those are big shoes to fill, because most people don't like perfect people. Just sayin'.

Anonymous said...

OKLAHOMA'S IN THE HOUSE!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I wonder why you didn't just take your own advice and "not sweat the small stuff" versus argue the correction and point out spelling errors. If you didn't think so highly of yourself and want to pick everything to death, you would have shrugged off the correction. Looks like you are the one who wants to make it bigger than it is. I can handle it, and dish it back.

Anonymous said...

Hey writing, spelling, grammar police, or should we just call you by your favorite handle, TWO N's, go get a fucking life and go nitpick back on FB. You're bringing people like me down. My new name for you is HOOVER because you are a fun sucker.

Anonymous said...

If all your fun is sucked out because I pointed out the correct "saying", I don't think you know what fun is. Maybe you should get out more.

Anonymous said...

Oh wait, I think NN means Nancy Nailtech, so that wasn't directed at anonymous me. If it's not about me, I apologize for not reading first.

Got Nails said...

Those are some awful nails. I cannot picture the diyer thinking they turned out nice. I would die if I had to wear those around. Its not fair to give an A for effort, but what if this is a set from a student, soon to be licensed tech. It's worse than your other photos throught the blog that were taken by staff of a salon, but oh lord what if these are the soon to be paid for set some poor client is about to get.

Anonymous said...

Nancy NailTech are you Cheryl the Lourdes of the douche? She uses that term "just sayin" same as you. Eww. Please tell me it's not so.

Anonymous said...

kd

Anonymous said...

Too bad that I can do my nails better than any salon I've been to (and yes, I tried pretty much every place). Maybe girls working there need to learn how to do it right, so people will go there. I did Shellac ONCE at the salon and it was a nightmare--it was so uneven, especially on the sides that I couldn't wait to take it off--so I bought a DIY kit and do it myself ever since.

Anonymous said...

I recognise those nails. The blogger is definitely a DIY'er, but she does the best with what she has. To her credit, her application has improved a lot since that picture. I've been a DIY'er for way over 10 years and now that I'm actually at 'nail school' it's done me a lot of favours. My trial and error has allowed me to have more practice with acrylic, gel and fibreglass than any of the women in my class (some of whom cannot even hold a nail file properly or paint a nail). If I'd had a 'good' tech who was willing to TALK to me and treat me like a human and not a farm animal, I might have continued to pay them and not enrol as a student, lol!

Anonymous said...

I (and many others) cannot afford exorbitant prices of getting nails done every two weeks. It's not a question of being cheap! Spending $80-120 a month is almost as much as car insurance! I've practiced a lot over the years and my nails are always immaculate for a fraction of the cost I'd be paying at a salon.
Many people don't have the time to spend on their nails so they get them done at salons. But for those nail techs to be hating on DIYers like me is so pathetic. They are just jealous that I'm as good as them.

This one time (a long time ago, I went to a nail salon to get acrylics done for a wedding. When it was time to get a fill 2 weeks later I went back to the same salon to get a fill but with a different nail tech. I lied and said I did the acrylics myself and she went on and on about all the mistakes and how I've ruined my nails. When I let her know after the rant that her colleague actually did them, I enjoyed watching her look and feel stupid.

Nail techs hate me. ha.

Anonymous said...

My nail tech has a bad attitude, I have to point out her mistakes because she doesn't smooth my nails out like I like them, they're uneven on the surface, so when I tell her to fix it before buffing and painting, her attitude gets nasty. Other then that she's good, I'll take her funky attitude for the cost and beautiful nail artistry. If I could have the time, I would do them myself.

Anonymous said...

I think it's wrong to say people are cheap that do it themselves at home. So what. I do mine at home and I get asked which salon I go to. I can't justify spending £25 ish on my nails each month. That's 300 quid a year, nice if you can afford it but not everyone can.

Anonymous said...

I do my own nails, they're not that perfect but "presentable" and if I don't like the color, I just remove and apply another color without hesitating. I've read comments on DIY'ers Youtube accounts that are just mean. Why? it's a bad thing for the nail techs, but being practical is good,especially these days. So, next time you see a DIYer and you think her nails are nasty and you can do them better, keep it to yourself, most often than not she doesn't even give a crap, lol

Kev said...

Hi I am the MD at O'NINE uk who are the only totally solvent FREE Gel System in the uk. We only sell to professionals as we feel when you use a professional product it should be applied by those who have spent the time and money to train to use the products properly.The problem with DIY nails is they can get you a bad reputation if they use the product wrong as they then tell everyone on Bloggers sites that the products are rubbish and this is not the case it has just been applied wrong. I have no issues with DIY ers and wish them well as they have to live and walk about with their designs on their hands, my issues are when they start doing it on other and put their health at risk with no insurance and no knowledge when something goes wrong. We like being a professionals only website & company as then we know our products are being used by the right people and you get the best job from the best Tech's using the best products. Simple really and it works for us.

Anonymous said...

Omg... This is a effing blogger! She's not anyone with some huge affect on your life and you are not forced to read anything she writes about so get a life if you don't like what you're reading and go somewhere else. You're a bully and honestly there's nothing lower than that. You're making a full of yourself. I stumbled upon this page looking for pictures of gel manicures and I just saw this stupidity and felt I couldn't not say anything. You are talking so much crap under anonymous and taking all this time to do it yet for some reason can't take the time to show your name and stand behind your negative puke. I bet you're a pathetic lifeless creature that finds pleasure picking on others far superior to you so you feel better about yourself. For shame!

Unknown said...

I am a DIYer or whatever you called us. I am not cheap. But I do rather do my own nails than spen $40 every week. Yes every week I like a new color on my nails every week. I dont want to go 4 weeks with the same stupid design the nail tech did. And thats for a nail tech that hurt my nail bed. Been to plenty salon's to realize I can do it myself and I will not spend money on someone who thinks they deserve $40+ an hour for a simple Nail courses they took. Dont pretend Nail Tech's first set was perfect. DIYer did go to salons at some point, and they realized they can either damaged their nails for free, or do it better. We all nee $ for things. DIYer are NOT CHEAP. We just got tired of your stuck up ass thinking only a nail tech can know shit about nails. Go to college and you will realize you just dumb bitch that found an easy shit to do. Who is the cheap one I wonder.

Unknown said...

Nail tech cant afford it. They just lazy people who rather do easy shit than go to college

Kiamolee said...

Jennifer, you are arguing with 2011. 7 years ago things were different in the world of nails. Youtube tutorials weren't a thing as they are now and professional products weren't available to the public as they are so readily available now. My dear times have changed and you are arguing with the past.